Wednesday, August 18, 2010

Love and War

Lately I have been on a reading of James Michael Pratt binge. I am in the middle of Paradise Bay, but have read Light of Hope, The Last Valentine and Ticket Home. Through my reading experiences, I have come to the knowledge of this concept, although not 99% accurate, but certainly close to it. Although woman authors may have a good story to tell, they are not real good at sharing their knowledge while writing. Men, on the other hand, tell a good story and are more than happy to share all their knowledge with the reader. That being said, it is no wonder that I am usually drawn to male authors over female. Lynn Austin is one author I can can think of that is the exception to this concept. The downside to that is that she only has a handful of books to share. However, she ranks as my favourite modern female author.

James Michael Prat consistently writes stories, Light of Hope being an exception, about WWII. His knowledge and insight is phenomenal. The only other book that is as explicit about the war is Gone With The Wind. If you enjoyed GWTW, you will indeed enjoy Ticket Home, although being quite a bit shorter! Ticket Home has been my favourite so far. It is about identical twins that fall for the same girl. The aggressive one wins her hand in marriage, to the devastation of the sweet, passive one. The brothers end up fighting with each other and then together in the war, but only one returns home. I recommend all of the books I have mentioned, though, as they are great stories entwined in some knowledge of the war. I have never been interested in WWI or WWII until just recently, which is kind of strange as I have always loved learning about the civil war in the United States. I have always had a soft spot in my heart and prayers for military and their families, but a person gets a better sense of what these people go through by reading books like JMP writes.



Although these stories have the brutality events of the war, they also have a sweet love story in the midst. The spice of a good book, love and war.


No comments:

Post a Comment