Thursday, July 1, 2010

The King was in need of the One True King




For some strange reason, I am an Elvis Presley addict. I have read so many biographies of Elvis and still can't seem to get enough. He is one of the most interesting individuals of all time. Not only was he one of the most handsome men ever created, but his personality and life story are so interesting to me. The thing that really intrigues me, was that he was raised in a Pentecostal home and that he never departed from trying to capture the presence of God. Although I have never read that he indeed had the Holy Ghost, he did carry strong convictions in his high school years that caused other teens to think him different. He was born alongside a twin, Jesse Garon, who died at birth. He was raised a "momma's boy". She was so scared that he would die that she walked him to school till he was 15!! She liked him to stay by her side at all times. Even though, I have never lost a baby, I can still relate to this! Even though some might think she suffocated him, he grew up to love and adore his mother greatly. He was founded because he wanted to record his voice on record for his mother for her birthday. He was so happy to make money from music, so he could help his mom and dad. He was acclaimed to have the biggest heart and would give away money and presents all the time. He would perform because he loved to perform. The people loved his performances, but there was a price to pay. He couldn`t live like any other normal human being.
It is recorded that after every concert, he would stay up late singing praises to God and gave his unique style credit to the days of the church he was raised in. Another thing I find interesting, is that there were at least two times in his life that he would pull away and just want freedom alone. I truly believe at these times, that he was wanting to get right with God, but the demands of money and fame would drive him right back into the lifestyle of the rich and famous.

My heart still breaks when I think of his death. I remember the day. We were driving down the road in my mom`s yellow convertible `68 mustang and the breaking news came on. My mom swerved to the side of the road and we all just cried. I was 5 yrs old. My mother was a big fan of his and so, put a love for Elvis in the rest of us. What a pitiful death, when once knew the one true King and died without getting right with Him. I will still say today that noone can sing How Great Thou Art like the this legend and when asked his favourite song, this was it How Great Thou Art

No comments:

Post a Comment