Monday, May 11, 2009

Pumping Iron!


As I entered the free weight area today at the gym I attend, I began to think about the typical "Ladies Gym". It is really sad that the cardio machines are jam packed at all times, yet there is always lots of room in the weight section. There is a misconception that ladies have and as long as I have breathe I will do my best to reveal the truth about women weightlifting.
There is a difference between weightlifting and body building. Weightlifting is more reps and less weights. This keeps a nice even musclar tone on your body. This will NOT BULK your body. In fact it is impossible for weights to "bulk" a woman without the use of steroids. Testostorone is a much needed ingredient to "BULK" muscle.
Women will often get discouraged in the beginning stages of weightlifting as you may gain weight for your first 3-6 months. The reason this is happening is because muscle weighs more than fat. You may lose inches, but you get discouraged because you are now heavier than you were when you started. Do NOT get discouraged, ladies!! Hang in there, because much like being pregnant, it is a short term discomfort for a long term benefit! Muscle also requires more calories than fat and will in fact eat the fat to stay alive! (if you eat properly and don't start binge eating!!) Studies prove that we look the way we do because of 80% what we eat and only 20% of our excercise habits.
The beautiful things about lifting weights include a nice, strong posture and tone. It gives your body a more balanced look as long as you include all the muscles in your program. A well balanced program includes: shoulders, upper & lower back, obliques, biceps, triceps, gluts, hamstrings, quads, calves and of course abs.It will in fact help you to lose weight and burn fat faster alongside cardio workout. I usually concentrate on 2 or 3 of these muscle groups first and then do cardio for about half an hour. This is the most effective way and will help you to see results faster. You also need to change your workout every 3-4 months so that you don't plateau and get discouraged again!
I have been weightlifting for 7 years, now and wish I had started earlier. The awesome thing about weightlifting as well is, that if you fall off the wagon for awhile, your body will kick back in to shape quicker. Think of it as an insurance policy!
I really enjoy weightlifting and would be more than happy to help you get a program started for yourself if you'd like to give it shot! Good luck with your workouts!

1 comment:

  1. Yep! Sooo many women worry about getting buff, but it's nearly impossible. I feel so different when I lift weights compared to doing cardio only. I'm just now getting back into the swing of things and am happy about it. (Winter is rough here! hahaha!)
    Love your blog background!! Keep your sunny smile! =D

    ReplyDelete